As I sat up hand-stitching a garment the other night until 1am, even though I knew I’d be up again at 5am with a full day ahead, I asked myself the question I usually ask at times like this.... “Why on earth am I doing this??!”.
Some of the reasons I’ve heard for why people ‘craft’, include:
- Not being able to find clothes that fit
- Wanting to save money
- Wanting to be more environmentally responsible
- A fit with spiritual beliefs (which may or may not be religious)
- A connection with generations past and future - passing down tradition and skill
- Wanting to keep busy to aid in quitting smoking or losing weight
I think I’ve given most of the reasons above at one point or another to explain my need to create. But you know what, I think there’s something more to it.
Because it does appear to be a need - not just a hobby or something to fill in the time. So much so, that I wonder sometimes if the act of creating is indeed something that is inherently human (a kind of Descartian “I create, therefore I am”).
So what do you think? Why are you a Crafty Mama?